Position Title: Controls and Instrumentation Engineer
Department: Controls Engineering
Immediate Supervisor’s Title: Director of Engineering
HRST is developing an HRSG Controls Engineering department. We are looking for an engineer with controls & instrumentation experience that has an entrepreneurial spirit, good business development skills and strong leadership qualities to help grow this segment of our business. The HRST controls & instrumentation engineer has front line contact with customers from the proposal stage through project completion. Successful performance in this role requires effective communication and strong analytical skills. A solid understanding of HRSG design and operation is required, along with practical experience in controls fields and a commitment to developing methods of controlling equipment and troubleshooting controls related issues. While controls and instrumentation engineering is the primary function of this position, versatility is important and a basic working knowledge of other engineering fields such as Heat Transfer and Thermodynamics is valued.
- Perform onsite troubleshooting of power plant HRSG, boiler and steam turbine related controls/ electrical issues.
- Perform engineering analysis/ troubleshooting projects related to the review of control functions/ logic, incorrect or inoperable instrumentation, shortfalls with final control elements and electrical equipment shortfalls.
- Prepare new controls/instrumentation designs and specifications related to HRSG, boiler and other balance of plant equipment
- Prepare proposals to clients, based on their specific needs related to the above work scopes for the controls department. Effectively estimate pricing and communicate the scope of supply requirements.
- Develop and manage customer relationships.
- Develop and continually improve service offerings.
- Perform on-site inspections of power plant HRSGs and boilers and provide customers with practical recommendations which increase reliability and efficiency.
- Promote HRST products and services when appropriate.
- Technical proficiency in two or more of the following fields including thermodynamics and heat transfer and control logic: plant electrical systems including motor control, distributed control systems, programmable logic controllers, industrial instrumentation, control valves, electric motors, networking, servers, plant operations, process control, thermodynamics and heat transfer and control logic using function block diagramming and ladder logic.
- Proficiency with basic electrical test equipment including digital multi-meters (DMM), process calibrators, data logging equipment.
- Familiarity with IEEE, NFPA, ISA and NEMA codes and standards pertaining to power generation.
- Ability to travel up to 30% as an annual average and as high as 50-60% during busy outage seasons.
- Excellent technical communications skills
- Bachelor’s Degree: BSEE, BSME, or equivalent field from an ABET accredited institution
- Minimum of 6 years power industry engineering experience in the electrical or controls field
- Field experience is desirable.
- Project management experience is desirable.
- Thorough understanding of the HRST products, services and culture.